Sunday, July 20, 2014

Extended Breastfeeding For My Family

                I'm so happy that at 13 months, we are still breastfeeding. I know that I get looks from people when I say I'm still breastfeeding. They don't get it. They don't understand. In America, I feel like it's uncommon to continue to breastfeed. I don't know a lot of women who have chosen to breast feed after 12 months. Some of my friends couldn't breastfeed after 12 months due to various reasons. But I feel like I get looks or the eye-roll when I state I am going to continue to breastfeed. I am supplementing him with cow's milk if we are out for a meal or when he is home I give him frozen breast milk and sometimes cow's milk.
         What does it look like for me? I breastfeed on demand. When he asks(which he does, he knows the sign for milk), I feed him. It's usually in the morning, before his two naps, after his afternoon nap, and before bed. Sometimes when he wakes up in the middle of the night. He doesn't always nurse all those times and sometimes he nurses more. I enjoy it and am happy to do it for him.
   I researched the benefits of it and found KellyMom.com had a lot of great information. Kellymom states that toddlers who breastfed benefit nutritionally. 
In the second year (12-23 months), 448 mL of breast milk provides: 
29% of energy requirements, 
43% of protein requirements, 
36% of calcium requirements, 
75% of vitamin A requirements, 
76% of folate requirements, 
94% of vitamin B12 requirements & 
60% of vitamin C requirements (Dewey 2001).  Crazy how much nutrition is in breastmilk.
In addition, apparently toddlers who breastfeed are sick less often, it helps their cognitive growth, they have fewer allergies, and toddlers are well adjusted socially(Kellymom.com). I read somewhere it reduces their risks of becoming obese and having diabetes. There are many more benefits that I’ve read, but can’t remember where I read it and what they were specifically.
      For moms, it reduces breast cancer, ovarian cancer, uterine cancer, and endometrial cancer(Kellymom.com). It has a ton of great benefits. These are some reasons why I do it. I also do it because I love the bonding time. These are one of the only times he will snuggle with me. I love it. I will be sad when it’s time to wean. I'm not saying everyone has to do it or that those who don't do it are parenting wrong. Everyone has to find what fits into his or her family. 
      It's hard to believe that in the beginning I cried because I struggled so much and it was tough and I couldn't handle the criticism. Now, 13 months later, I am enjoying it. I look down into his sweet toddler face, his bright blue eyes, and fall in love with him over and over. There are tough moments, like when he accidently bites down, when he skips a feed or two and it hurts me! It’s tough going against the grain. I am learning to brush off the criticism. I'm doing what I think is best for my family. And if anyone is curious, no I'm not going to nurse him until he is 48 months old(aka 4 years old). I promise!

No comments:

Post a Comment