Sunday, August 17, 2014

Toddlers and Airplanes



      I was dreading Eli's first Airplane ride. We were going out to see my grandparents and would have to take an airplane. I worried about so many things, the regulations, the actual ride, getting on the airplane, getting all his stuff(stroller and car seat) from one gate to another. I had major anxiety.
               I search Pinterest for tips and ideas. I read them, as I thought most was common sense. Some made me anxious about having him ride on my lap. What if the plane crashed? One website pointed out that some 3-year-old was a soul survivor in an airplane crash because she was in a car seat. (Thanks for calming me down!) Others talked about having activities ready.
      I was going to rent a car seat, but after hearing and reading horror stories of car seats being broken, disgusting, or outdated, I decided to take mine. I was very happy to learn that strollers and car seats can be gate checked for FREE!!! Wahoo! The plan was to use a car seat travel bag on the car seat and use a luggage strap to strap it on my rolling bag to travel from plane to plane. It's a little redneck, but it works:
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/1907758_10152193201656123_7442939240568002165_n.jpg
    It worker great at home with my car seat. Unfortunately, It didn't work as well with the car seat we took. We took my mother-in-law's because she was the one who took us to the airport. But it worked out since we took the stroller and Eli wanted to be carried anyway. The stroller was a good idea, because it could hold a carryon, his diaper bag, and his car seat between planes.
    His carrier was a life-saver. I went on a last minute mission to our local children's clothing consignment shop and found a mei-tei carrier. It was perfect, even if it was pink and grey. I was hesitant to use it because it was pink and I worried others would think Little Man was a girl. But I decided it was fine. I used the carrier to carry him to and from the airplanes and in the airport. It was a life saver because he fell asleep and I didn't have to worry about waking him. It also kept him out of the stroller so we could use it to lug the car seat.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-h-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-xpa1/t1.0-9/10356027_10152195543671123_2795679788892829281_n.jpg

    On the way out, he was great on the airplane. No crying. He even nursed on take-off and landing. We didn't get so lucky on the way back. I think it was just the wrong time to fly. We were suppose to fly out at 11, but it got changed to 1(I think). He didn't get a morning nap or an afternoon nap. Our first flight, he was crying and throwing a fit out of complete tiredness. He didn't sleep well at my grandparents and I think he was just too disoriented. It was awful and embarrassing. I tried everything. I took out the Ipad, I sang to him, I put him in the carrier, I tried to nurse him. I wanted to hide. There was a very sweet man sitting in the aisle next to us. He said he completely understood, he had 3 children of his own. He had loaded those Santa messages to kids from Christmas time. Eli watched it for three minutes and was out. He slept the rest of the flight as all the passengers around us sighed a sigh of relief. Thank God for angels! He was definitely an angel!
    Like I had said before, I tried to read and find lots of tips. I decided that since Eli was obsessed with the iphone, he would want to play on the ipad. Wow, was I wrong. I had downloaded like 10 toddler apps. Not that I want my son addicted to technology, I figured it would be okay to use for one day. He was not in the bit interested. He just wanted to open and close the case on the ipad and push the home button over and over. Oh-well. At least I brought a book with flaps to entertain him. He also was fascinated with the window, the buttons, and the window shade.
    The biggest advice is to make sure you have A LOT of snacks and enough milk/drink for you child. He definitely needed and wanted snacks. It definitely helped when he wouldn't nurse and we were on take off/landing.  I read to get something gummy for them to chew on to reduce the pressure on the ears. The airport allows milk, but be ready for someone to open containers and test your milk. Also, you are allowed to bring whatever snacks and drinks you need. Also, bring toys that are new and intriguing. I brought two new books for him to look at.
   Thankfully I had a very nice friend where I visited that allowed me to borrow her pack-n-play and toys for my grandparents. They were definitely a life-saver. Eli won't sleep in bed with me at all, he thinks it's playtime. The toys were new to him and he loved them. My friend was a life-saver and seriously made this trip so much easier.
     It was a long trip, but it was worth it. It was worth it to see my 90+ year old grandparents. Everytime I see them I don't know if it's my last time seeing them. It's sad, but it's a realization I come to. They were so happy and excited to meet Eli for the first time. They were so impressed by his bussiness and his exploration of things.
This made it worth it: My grandma's huge smile and happiness shown on her face.

The moments I won't get back: Grandpa teasing and loving on his youngest great grandson:
 
      I tried to remember to put the camera down and enjoy the moment. I didn't take as many pictures as I usually do. I wanted to soak in my grandparents and the memories. They amaze me as people. They will be married for 65 years this year. The love they have for each other radiates from each other. It's priceless and makes the romantic in me swoon. The love my grandma has for others makes me so proud to be her granddaughter. She washed and cleaned all her old pill bottles and took them to the animal clinic. Every time I come out, we deliver something to help someone. She lives out God's command to love one another and it makes me so proud. Grandpa is a joker and is always making a joke . I will always remember these things about them. 
Our four generation photo:
 

No comments:

Post a Comment