Monday, August 5, 2013

6 Weeks

   I can't believe he is 6 weeks! It's going by too fast! He is 11 lbs and 8 ozs. He has gained 3 pounds since birth! No wonder my back has been killing me! 
   He has been changing by leaps and bounds! He is much more alert and awake! He also has been more fussy. Today I took him to the doctor. He had been crying and arching his back. It made this momma so sad to see him in such pain. We were pretty sure it was gas. We tried so many things, but it just got worse. He has started spitting up a lot! He was diagnosed with colic and acid reflux. He was given a prescription and I'm hoping it helps! If not, I may go dairy free for a week or two to see if that helps also. But I don't think it's dairy because I don't eat a ton and it's not a new food. But who knows, worth a try, right?
    Breastfeeding is going awesome! He will latch himself sometimes and I don't have to work to get him to latch! :) I didn't use the shield at all last night, which was awesome! I was really worried about getting breastfeeding down, but I feel like it's getting there. I can even nurse in public now without hesitation. I feel like sticking it out really was for the best. I have started a freezer stash for when I go back to work and it's already over 100 ozs and I have 2 more months at home. I only pump once a day and usually get about 5 oz, but sometimes less and sometimes more! 
   His leaps and bounds:
~ He is definitely socially smiling! :) It is adorable! He has laughed a few times!
~ He grabs at my shirt and hair when I carry or hold him. It definitely melts my heart!
~ He is more awake during the day!
~ He slept for 6 hours straight two days in a row.
~ He is cooing and trying to make conversation now!
~ He holds his head up for longer periods of time at tummy time! He also can push him self up onto his elbows!
~ He had his first bottle of breastmilk! Daddy was one proud papa!

Some pictures of him:
Grabbing onto my shirt!




6 weeks and in his Sunday best!

His first bottle! Such a big boy!



 How mama is doing?
   I'm holding up! I have more energy since he is sleeping better! I've gotten into a rhythm of getting some things done while he is napping, even taking a nap myself! I have been walking once a week with another mom! :)
      Emotionally, I've been better. Lately, I've been hurt by some comments about how I parent. It's hard being a new mom and choosing to raise your child the way you think is best. I have read a lot about the decisions I've made for Eli and I think they are the best ones. It's hard to have those decisions criticized. I don't think there is a right way to raise your child, unless it has to do with safety(like using a carseat). I know I'm not the only mom who has felt criticized. It doesn't matter if you breastfed, pumped, or formula fed. But you have to make the right decision that you have to live with for the rest of your life. For me, breastfeeding is what I felt I had to do and I enjoy it. There are so many things that you need to decide for yourself and your family. I just try to remember that I am making the best educated decisions for me. But the hurtful comments have kept me up sometimes at night when I should be sleeping. It's hard being a new mom, not even mentioning all the overwhelming advice. I'm learning that sometimes you just have to smile and accept it and move on. Deep breaths! I am learning to be a mom.
    I must be doing a good job. As Travis put it, it's been 6 weeks and he is still alive and gaining a lot of weight! :) Always the comedian.
   I am getting a little stressed about school. School starts in 4 weeks and I am not ready for the sub! I didn't realize how hard it would be to get ready for the sub with a newborn, especially with his new fussiness. I know I'll get it down in small sections. I have already started! I have a special helper in the coming weeks, Travis' cousin said she'd watch Eli while I work at school. She can come to school with me, so he can nurse while I work.
    I am enjoying my time with him. In two months, I won't see him as much because of working full-time. I'm trying to spend as much time as I can with him, taking in all the moments before work starts. I want as much time as I can before I go to work. He is a blessing and a miracle. A miracle God gave to Travis and I. He is only little once and I'm taking it all in!
  
  

No comments:

Post a Comment